Saturday, June 20, 2009

Right Back Where We Started From

We were ready for Carly to turn the corner, but unfortunately she turned the wrong one. Around midnight last night she was pretty uncomfortable, but we were still hopeful that she would settle into a good night’s rest. By 1am her discomfort escalated and continued through the night. They used strong pain medications intended to give a few hours of relief, but for Carly it only lasted about 20 minutes. By morning she had a fever around 102 F, and all of the doctors were puzzled once again. The neurology team visited this morning with a few ideas of medications that may be able to help Carly be more comfortable. These were changed during the day and although they said it could take a few days to notice a change, Carly has done better this afternoon.

Last night was very similar to the episode that brought us into the ER two weeks ago making it feel like we are right back where we started. We are doing our best to deal with having no idea what is making Carly feel so bad and no idea how long it could last, but it isn’t easy. Late this afternoon Christa and I were sitting on a chair together looking out of Carly’s window at a grove of eucalyptus trees. The wind was whipping though the trees and I was reminded of the wind power that we felt the day before and during her last surgery. We could feel the love and prayers coming our way that day, and I can feel them again today.

Love, Brad

16 comments:

Gal said...

Oh, sweet Carly. I hope tonight is much more peaceful, and that your doctors figure out what is going on soon, and then that they will be guided by their highest selves to help you get well and get home. Please know that I am here for you guys, anything you need. Another visit? More stars? A listening ear who understands a little? In the meantime, I am holding you very close to my heart, sending peace and wellness in HUGE amounts. And lots of love.

Anonymous said...

I love you guys. I think about your strength and pain and hope and healing every single day, over and over again.

When I figure out how to crack open the Universe and get what I want out of It, I will let you know.

Please give Carly a kiss for me. And give each other a hug. We will see you in Aug and I can't wait.

karen said...

Oh, friends..I'm so sorry that we are back here again. I'm continuing to send all my love and strength to help carry you through this trying time. I know the doctors will find an answer soon.
xoxo

bridget keenan mcelroy said...

Brad, you are such a positive person. Carly is a lucky little girl to have you in her life.
Happy Father's Day!! You are a wonderful example to all dads everywhere. The three of you are in my prayers. Lets hope for an explaination soon to Carly's troubles. Love Bridget McElroy

Anonymous said...

We hope that you feel better today Carly, and we are sending all our love to you. Brad you are truly an amazing father.
Love,
Andy, Allie, Sophie and Luke

Team Carly Members said...

Love and powerful child prayers coming Carly's way from her east coast friends.
And love to the Wonder Parents as well.
Happy Father's Day, Brad...you are one of the best Father's I've ever met.
Mindy, Drew, Layla and Chloe

JerseyGirl said...

Happy Father's Day, Brad. I'm sorry you are spending it the hospital but I will continue visualizing a pain-free carly with this virus (or whatever it is) completely eradicated. Much love to you, Christa and Carly.

Paige said...

Thinking of you today and hoping for answers and a corner turned soon. Sending healing vibes to Carly and to her amazing parents. And Happy Father's Day, Brad. I hope it's as peaceful as possible, for you all.

Heather said...

Blowin' a gale-force wind to an amazing Father and family. Happy Father's Day...OXOX.

Jennie said...

I'm sorry to read that she turned a different corner than you were hoping, but I'm positive with all of the love and strength that we are all sending, she will turn a good corner again soon! Your strength during all of this beyond admirable. You are always in our thoughts! Love, Jennie and Jimmy

Anonymous said...

we are also sending strong prayers and positive healing thoughts your way. you are an amazing father, Brad, exactly what sweet Carly deserves in a dad. the three of you make a tremendous team and you will get through this (hopefully very soon) and get back to working on Carly's healing.
love-love-love,
sheila and keith

Anonymous said...

We have watched you take it a day at a time, an hour at a time and lately sometimes a minute at a time but you are always steadfast, strong, Carly's best advocates and together you are an awesome team. You are the embodiment of perseverance, patience and tenderness with our baby girl.
Happy, Hopeful Fathers Day
Love, M

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Carly! Happy Father's Day Brad. Hoping you, Christa and Carly enjoy a peaceful night.

Catherine said...

Sending love, hugs and my prayers through the winds uphill to you three! Hoping for a peaceful night for Carly. Love, Catherine

Gal said...

I thought of Carly and you two so much today. Happy Father's Day, Brad. You are shining so brightly as Carly's father. Hoping it was a more peaceful day.

susan said...

Happy Father's Day, Brad. Your little girl is wishing on those stars as am I. Sleep well and peacefully, all of you and especially, you Miss Carly.