Sunday, June 21, 2009

Here's To Dads

Carly had a much better day today. She had several naps that were an hour or longer which is something that she hasn't really done in the last two weeks. When she wasn't napping she was much more alert than we have seen since we came to the PICU sixteen days ago and she looked intently at both Christa and me many times over the day. Under the circumstances that is the best father's day present that I could have hoped for. We will probably feed Carly again tomorrow or Tuesday to see if it sets of another episode like she had two nights ago. Without a diagnosis it is unknown how this will go, hopefully she can move on and leave those painful episodes behind her.

We are on a run of holidays in the PICU having spent Christmas, Carly's birthday, Easter, my birthday and now Father's day here on the 6th floor at UCSF. It is certainly not where I would choose to spend these days, seeing Carly put through so much is the hardest part about it. Although it is not the fate I would have chosen for any of us, I still feel incredibly lucky to have Carly in my life. She is an amazing force that brings the best out of everyone that she touches and the world is a brighter place with her in it.

There are a lot of amazing fathers in this world that I would like to pay tribute to. I was fortunate enough to learn from one of the best, a real role model of what it means to be a dad and a husband. I may not have the same level of patience, or the same need to get to the airport so early, but I couldn't have had a better teacher to prepare me for this life than my own father. Also, there are a lot of dads that I see here in the hospital who have to deal with tougher circumstances than we do and their devotion is inspiring. And finally there are many dads out there, including my good friend Chris, who have lost their children and have the unthinkable job of being a father to a spirit. These dads are every bit the father figure that I am or hope to be and through their grief, the love for their children is inextinguishable. Cheers to all the dads out there.

Love, Brad

16 comments:

BobK said...

Happy Father's Day, Brad.

Michele said...

I'm sure in the future Carly will know and realize she has one of the best dads out there.

Happy Father's day, Brad!!!

Love
the Rebbecks

Anonymous said...

A father loves their child and it never ends. When a child is happy, the father is happy and when your child hurts, he hurts as well. As a young and beginning father, Brad, you have and are truly being tested. Your father is very proud of your courage, compasion toward others, and dedication and determination to Carly's well being. Now is the time of hurt but happiness is just around the corner. Love, D

Anonymous said...

p.s. I never missed a plane....D

robin said...

Brad and Christa are such great inspiration to all Dads and Moms out there. Both a calm force of perspective and faith for all around you. So positive, loving, and energetic to Carly and all of us. Thank you!

Much love,
Robin

Anonymous said...

Wishing today is a better day, and sending strength. It's certainly beautiful outside today, and sunshine, even through a hospital window, can never hurt.

Love you both - happy father's day, Brad.

xo Becca and Brian

Unknown said...

Hi Brad and Christa,
Kit and I are keeping tabs on Carly Grace from Portland. We're looking so forward to when you get to write a string of posts from home while getting hours and hours of sleep beside a tranquil Carly G.

That was a super Father's Day posting, Brad. Happy Father's Day to you. From the looks of it you're topping the Dad charts already, even if you go to the airport late.

P & K

Gal said...

Beautiful, Brad. I am so glad that it was a better day yesterday, and hope that this continues today. This is such a sweet picture of you and your little girl. She looks extremely peaceful in your arms. Love to you three, and tons of support.

SteveT said...

Dangit Brad, that picture made me cry at work. Muchos props to Carly for her spirit in all this, but also great props to you and Christa for your incredible love and perseverance. Happy Father's day man.

I'm glad Carly's getting some rest at least, and I look forward to more good news.

-s

Catherine said...

What a wonderful message. I could feel all of the love in your words and it made me smile and cry at the same time. You guys are amazing!

Love, Catherine

Kevin said...

That was a very nice post. Thank you for sharing. I'm so glad to hear that Carly had a good day yesterday. I hope the trend has continued for today.

Love,
Kevin

T-Rex said...

Yay for napping! Happy (belated) father's day Brad. Carly will grow up to know she has one of the most loving, patient and dedicated fathers around. She's so lucky to have you and Christa as her parents. :)

european vacation said...

Glad to hear the update. Hope the 4th is your first hospital free holiday! Nice words about dads, spoken by a great one.

Jason L. said...

Happy Father's Day Brad. Thinking of you, Christa and Carly and sending good thoughts and prayers.

Jason and Karen

Lani said...

what a journey this has been. carly and both you and christa have been an inspiration to us all. thanks for the shout out, it was a tough weekend for us around here.

sending you lots of love on your special day (a day late!)
xo

Unknown said...

Brad,
Just now reading your Father's Day posting and it's so beautiful, very inspiring to me as a parent. I'm proud to have friends as strong and loving as you and Christa.

I'm sorry to hear you're still at UCSF and Carly is still struggling. Our thoughts are with you.
With love,
Stacy, Doug, Jack and Alyssa