In the days since Carly's birthday she has continued to be under the weather. The antibiotics may have been helping her pneumonia, but she continued to be really weak, sleepy and had little interest in eating or drinking. By yesterday morning we decided we couldn't put off a shunt surgery any longer. She went to the O.R. yesterday afternoon and Dr. Gupta replaced all of the shunt hardware. This time he tried something different, replacing the belly catheter with tubing that is typically used for drainage of abdominal cavities. The tubing is a lot larger in diameter, with an area that is over 6 times larger than shunt tubing. The hope is that this larger area will prevent the tubing from clogging, giving Carly more time between shunt revisions.
Carly has been recovering well, with things being a little more complicated because she is also fighting off pneumonia and a case or rhinovirus (the cold.) Because of these other issues, Carly spent last night in intensive care (the PICU.) We are still there now and will be here for another night. If she shows improvement tomorrow she will be sent home to continue her recovery there. It is good to be trying something different that shows promise at helping address the shunt clogging issue. Hopefully this is the beginning of a long stretch of better days for Carly.