Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Mountain Air

Carly’s slow but steady progress has continued over the last few weeks. She is spending more time awake, some days for many hours in a row, which is a great change to see. She particularly likes to spend time swinging both at home in San Francisco and this week in Tahoe where we are spending a little vacation time. This Thursday she will have an MRI for her one year post tumor check-up. Should it confirm that she is still tumor free, then she will be able to start growth hormone replacement in the next few weeks. We will learn more about that at an April 7 endocrine appointment, but that can only mean good things for Carly’s development.

I am sure there are a wide range of political persuasions that follow Carly’s blog, but today is a day for celebrating as far as we are concerned. The health care bill that was signed today is of significant importance to Carly and so many other people in situations like her. Before today we had to worry about a lapse in insurance coverage that could have opened up Carly to denial of coverage for preexisting conditions. Carly would always be in danger of reaching her lifetime maximum coverage and could have been forced to make life decisions for insurance purposes only, rather than getting to follow her dreams. We have been blessed by having great health insurance, but we can’t help but think of the millions of other families who are not so lucky and are forced to make decisions on medical care that they should never have to. We are thrilled about the new law and what it means for Carly and many other people facing health challenges.

Love, Brad

10 comments:

Heather and Seth said...

This picture makes me smile. :)
Here's to your vacation, fresh air, and a new year with all new possibilities! We'll be thinking about you on Thursday and thinking tumor-free thoughts! Go Team Carly!

Meredith said...

Yay Carly!! What an adorable baby girl you have. I was moved to read your post--I wholeheartedly agree with your words about the health care milestone. Carly will be able to follow her heart. Will be thinking of you on Thurs!

Anonymous said...

Awww! What a sweetie!
Love,
Greg and Gail

JerseyGirl said...

So happy to hear about the continued progress. Looking forward to good MRI news. Also glad you guys are able to relax in Tahoe. The picture of Carly in the swing is adorable. :)
((HUGS))

Tooley said...

Yay growth hormone replacement therapy! I am hoping with all my heart that it starts right on schedule! Great picture too! :)

bridget keenan mcelroy said...

I've said it before ..... Carly is one lucky lady to have a dad like you. Your mom must be very proud.
It's always nice when you have positive things to report. Love and best wishes from Michigan.

Anonymous said...

Have been thinking about you as the healthcare issues battled their way forward. So glad help for you and Carly are coming this year. No family should have to choose if they will be able to provide medical treatment for a loved one. Hopefully the bill and the reconciliation will stand and more Americans will realize the benefits to all. Our thoughts are with you as you fight this battle.
Martha & Al Chiscon

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that you all were able to take a much needed vacation! Carly looks adorable in the swing with the snow and the mountains all around her. I was celebrating the news of the insurance reform in Carly's honor, and that of everyone who faces high medical bills and the possibility of having "pre-existing conditions" threaten their health and happiness. Can't wait to see more pictures and hear more good news about Carly's progress!
Much love,
Sue Rosenblum-Collins

Unknown said...

What a sweet photo! So happy to see your beautiful girl enjoy the mountain air. And Amen to your wise words about health care.

cranioguy89 said...

I'm sorry I haven't been checking in with your family and you might not even remember me, but I am thrilled to hear that Carly is doing so well! I don't know if I mentioned it before, but there is an amazing organization called Imerman Angels (www.imermanangels.org) that connects people who are fighting or who have survived cancer/tumors with others who have gone through similar situations. At the same time, they provide the same type of support for parents as well. Jonny Imerman started the organization and is one of the most amazing people I have ever met.

Another person you should talk with is Stacia Wagner with the Children's Brain Tumor Foundation. She has been incredibly helpful in helping me through the toughest of times.

While I know it probably seems early to start thinking about these things, they will be an invaluable resource for Carly and your family. I didn't discover any of these resources until Freshmen year in college after struggling quite a bit, and they have literally changed my life. My parents actually discouraged me from seeking out these resources and I didn't start counseling or get neuropsychological test (to identify the areas I [or Carly] might be struggling with from surgery and developing strategies to overcome them) until my Freshmen year in college.

Most of all I would be more than thrilled to offer any kind of support or answer any questions you might have from someone who has gone through having Craniopharyngioma. I know that I wish I had known someone like me when I was younger, so if Carly someday wants to talk with someone liker her, I'm here!

God bless, and a big hug to your family!